Sunday, July 21, 2013

At the Phantom Tollbooth... Concord, New Hampshire

Random Acts of Kindness
                It’s kind of humorous when I think about it now, but at the time, I felt defeated.  As I left the nursing home after visiting my father-in-law, I got in the Silver Bullet and headed back to the cabin.  The tears were coursing down my face as the sky opened up and unleashed a terrible storm.  The torrential downpour outside of the car equaled the emotional upheaval inside of me as I headed up the highway.  I talked, prayed, okay… ranted, as I begged my father in heaven to give me the sight to see the road clearly and the insight as to which way to go.  I felt overwhelmed by all that I had to do, and I felt like a failure with what I had tried to accomplish.  I think that my grandmother used to refer to this dynamic as a good ol’-fashioned “pity party.”  So there I was partying my way up 93 North when I saw the signs alerting me to the fact that there was a tollbooth ahead.  I frantically searched my armrest for the coins I would need to pass through this obstruction in my path.  I found pennies.  I found nickels.  I found Australian coins, but no quarters… nothing that would get me through.  Slowing as I approached the barrier, I reached behind the seat blindly searching for my pocketbook.  As I deciphered its presence and swung it onto my lap, I halted the van at the stall.  I rolled down my window, held up my index finger and asked for her indulgence as I began to scan the deep recesses of the purse for my payment.  Its upright and unbending handles poked into my eyeball, and I was once again blinded by the impalement as well as my own stupefying stupidity.  As this absurd scene continued to unfold and the cars began to impatiently line up behind me, I glanced up sheepishly to see the attendant beaming at me from behind a veil of fog, water and pain. 
                “You may pass on through, Ma’am.  The gentleman in front of you paid your way.  Have a great night.”  My mind was a swirling mass of confusion. 
                “Who?”  I queried while she pointed to the anonymous car speeding away ahead of me.  “…but I don’t know him…”  I floundered futilely for the words to express this misunderstanding.
                “Have a wonderful night!” she cheered.  “Congratulations and thank you.” 
                “Thank YOU,” I bawled as I lowered the purse back to the floor of the car, squinting at the metallic dot on the waning horizon and crying even harder now. 
                …And so it was that when I was feeling the most helpless and lost, a selfless, and presumably random, act of kindness came from out of the clouds to give me courage and help me find my way home. 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment