Sunday, November 29, 2020

Having a Party

 


"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:9 



I have a confession to make.  Thanksgiving morning dawned, and in the midst of so much to be grateful for, I was feeling deep in despair.  I remember my mom used to describe these moments as being down in the toolies (is this even a word?) or having "a pity party," and if I am full on confessing, I never really got it.  Most days dawn Pamtastic to me, and it's another opportunity to jump into the fray of life.  


Thanksgiving, after the turkey was eaten and the Zoom calls were over, I sank into the comforting confines of our ancient sectional sofa and hunkered in to watch our old home movies.  Just as I was about to wallow, it was then that I experienced a resurrection miracle.  I watched, I remembered and I prayed.  I laughed and I cried- sometimes both at the same time.  And as I did that, my attitude was transformed from one of grief to that of gratitude.  I recalled the Wolfgang Van Halen video, "Distance" and was inspired to try...In Thanksgiving



2 comments:

  1. awwww this is the blog posting you wanted me to read thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. 10 years ago this Thanksgiving my mom and I had our last meal together. I called for the ambulance to bring her to the Hospice house, without even being able to clean up the kitchen and put the turkey away since she went into cardiac arrest. Luckily, they sedated her so she was able to rest the next few days until my sister made it from Illinois to Ohio to be with us. She passed peacefully Nov 28, 2010 to one of her favorite Carole King songs playing. So, Thanksgiving has been very rough. My kids stopped by after they spent the day with their dad, and my sister cancelled her trip to see me because of Covid. I enjoyed a quiet, peaceful day with my darling Jeff- who also lost his mom Thanksgiving weekend in a different year. Holidays are small for us, but we decorate and try to make the best of it. Thank you for being you, as relatable as you are to me! xo and hugs

    ReplyDelete