Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Creighton University- Omaha, NE

If you squint, Creighton University actually might look a little like Disney World...

Okay, Maybe Billy Blue Jay isn't happy!

Ian (and Colin?) receive Ian's Happy news way back in December!



Creighton University- The Happiest Place on Earth!

When I was growing up, I thought that Disney World was the happiest place on earth. I never went to Disney World until seven years ago, but that is what I always believed. Now that I am much older and both of the Fallon boys will be attending Creighton University, I have to disagree with my earlier belief. After my second Creighton University Orientation, I have to boldly say that Creighton University is the happiest place on earth. I have never seen so many happy people... in one place... at one time... ever! I am consistently impressed and amazed whenever I am at Creighton how everyone is so joyful. Maybe there's something in the water, but, quite frankly, I feel like it is something more. First everyone is so sincere. Secondly, everyone loves Creighton. Thirdly, Creighton people want you to love Creighton as much as they do. It must be the Jesuits!

I love learning new vocabulary, and I learned a lot of vocabulary at this year's orientation. It feels like these words and the deep theological concepts they represent could be life altering. Don't quote me on this, but when I took my brain based learning class, I believe the research showed that until we hear/see or experience something seven times, we don't really learn it. So I think that I have probably experienced these words and phrases six times before, but now, they are starting to get my attention. The first word which captivated me was magis. The Creighton University website states, "Magis, a Latin term meaning 'the more,' is the charism of the Society of Jesus that embodies St. Ignatius’ question in his Spiritual Exercises: 'What more can I do for Christ'?" It is also the name of a two year program for educators. Furthermore, they go on to describe this quality as "In this sense, Magis as 'more' is not a quantity, but a quality of soul which desires God's goodness to be seen, expressing God's greatness through our littleness." Immediately, as I began to hear this word over and over again during the past two days, I began to view my daily "to do" lists in a whole different light. Even my prayer regimen! Many of the Creighton students and staff members who presented discussed how they were discerning their vocation, their ministry and their daily activities each day through the lens of this concept. What a paradigm shift for me! I have always wanted my life to be for the glory of God (some days are brighter than others), but this idea of reflecting on this daily, is key. Of course I don't have seven hours a day that I can go into a cave, but I believe in the power of reflection. I must be deliberate and consistent in these efforts. I wish I had learned this when I was 17!

Creighton's website goes on to define another vocabulary phrase for me "cura personalis." "Cura Personalis is a spirit of personally caring for others, who are themselves loved creations of God, and encouraging them to an awareness of God's love." Again, I try and live this way, but I never knew it had a name before! Can you know something before you can name it? I have much more to learn about Ignatius in the days, weeks and months ahead. Another cool thing about being a Creighton parent is they offer Bible studies and other learning opportunities for the families of the Creighton students. I think that this is cool! So many of the projects I do at school, I try to make them collaborations so that my students can work with their families. hmmmmm food for thought and thoughts nourish my soul!

TAKE, LORD, AND RECEIVE ALL MY
LIBERTY, MY MEMORY, MY
UNDERSTANDING AND MY ENTIRE
WILL. ALL THAT I HAVE AND POSSESS,
YOU HAVE GIVEN ME TO YOU, O LORD,
I RETURN IT. ALL IS YOURS, DISPOSE OF IT
WHOLLY ACCORDING TO YOUR WILL. GIVE ME
YOUR LOVE AND YOUR GRACE, FOR THIS IS
SUFFICIENT FOR ME.

ST. IGNATIUS

I want to drink of this water!

No comments:

Post a Comment