Friday, July 8, 2011

Princeton, New Jersey- Food, the Sequel or Education. the Nourisher!

Cotsen Children's Library


Exploring in Princeton: Cousins and Brothers!
Wow Architecture!


Princeton, New Jersey- Food, the Sequel
or Education. the Nourisher!

Perhaps I was coming out of a high fructose corn syrup haze, but as I began to wake up from my perch in Princeton, New Jersey, I smelled this incredible aroma of freshly ground coffee, rich baking goodness, fresh fruit and maple syrup. There maybe have been a little chocolate hanging in the air from the late night brownies... Our gracious and gifted hosts, Asa's cousin George and his wife Naomi gave us a delicious breakfast to fuel our day in Princeton. After spending a couple of really delicious hours around their breakfast nook, it was time to explore this town, which loomed like an icon in my mind.

We set out walking around the town and taking in all of the sights and especially the distinctive architecture. Wow... With every glance, I saw beautiful homes, shops and building of all kinds. Such a glance usually began with Mandy picking up the camera and pointing it in a certain direction at a specific angle, and then it hit me, "Wow. That is really beautiful!" It was like I was seeing Princeton through Mandy's lens and George's words; it was spectacular. Then we arrived onto the Princeton campus. Immediately, I had this feeling of the familiar. Of course, I always feel at home around schools of any kind. I love schools, and I always feel this synergistic vibe. But this feeling was different. I blurted out to George, "I feel like I am standing on Duke University's campus!" There was this implosion as I related a previous experience, visiting Duke University (Summer 2009) and being here at Princeton (June 2011). I love that! George chuckled and proceeded to explain the Princeton- Duke connection, and I was hooked. I love history; I love intrigue. I love universities that remind me of Harry Potter. You can read more about this controversial connection by clicking on http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/history/histnotes/myths.html.

I loved Princeton. Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Governors, Chiefs of Staff, CIA directors, military leaders, astronauts, authors and trail blazers of every kind walked on these same paths as I was walking. Even fictional fireballs like Fred Flintstone (Princestone University) and Dougie Howsie are purported to have attended (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Princeton_University_people). They studied here, learned and grew on this very campus. For me, learning nourishes. It is my food that fuels my excitement, my learning, my life. The more I learn, the more I crave to learn. Learning has a life giving dynamic for me and here we were surrounded by libraries, technology and art galleries. When I walked into the
at Princeton, so many of my thoughts about art, life and reading came together! Seriously, I could live here (http://www.princeton.edu/cotsen/gallery-programs/our-gallery/)... forever, maybe just with some fries on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment