Monday, August 3, 2015

In ancestry.com...


"What are you looking for?"

          As I listened to Derrick's sermon about John 6:25 - 35 on Sunday, after we had driven cross country from Vermont and arrived back in Nebraska, I was struck by the question that Jesus asked his disciples in John's Gospel, "What are you looking for?"  Yes, I am absolutely always looking for the Bread of Life, but immediately, I began to think about genealogy and my obsession with ancestry.com.  
     In the summer while I am home in Vermont loving and serving my mom, I spend a lot of time trying to fill in the blanks in my genealogy puzzle.  I track down cousins and their missing dates while stalking around in cemeteries trying to connect the leaves in our family tree.  Sunday's sermon reminded me to ask myself, "what are you looking for?" in all of that data.  I guess my answer remains the same... I am looking for the Bread of Life;  I am looking for communion.communio or community with others.  My family tree boasts some diversity... we don't all look the same or worship alike, but there is this life-giving force that wells up within me when I am with my family-  past, present and future.  And the irony is... we're all really one family, aren't we?  So, for me, this adventure is really about forging connections and hearing the stories.  Those stories inspire me to run the race that has been set before me.  If I get off track, my family and my Lord, much like Lola our GPS...call me back with Light and Love onto the right path... "Recalculating..."



Cousins are family...


We are all searching for something...

from the beginning...

Another genealogy junkie... I learn so much from Henrietta each summer!



And our family continues to grow!  Welcome, Bridget!

Friends are family...

Godchildren are family

No comments:

Post a Comment