Monday, September 7, 2015

Grieving...

So Many Causes...
                                                                So Little Time...



(from webneel.com)


     This has been a heartrending week. 

So many losses at a time of year when I am already susceptible to being reminded of other ones.  They are sort of like my preexisting conditions because the ache of missing loved ones is like a constant dull, throbbing pain in my heart and a fog across my brain.  Despite my Faith, sometimes I am at a loss what to do, but I have amazing pillars surrounding me that I can lean on when my inspiration runs dry.  

Actions always speak louder than words, and I guess that is what I am thinking about tonight.  What can I possibly do, what acts of Mercy can I perpetrate to offset the overwhelming grief at loss and illness, violence and heartbreak?  

I am surrounded by answers, to name only a few, if my action can overcome my inertia...
  • On this my cousin's birthday, her young life cut short from CMV, I support an organization that pledges to stop CMV through education, awareness and research...  Each year I try to get one of my speechers to take on this topic, and although my persuasive powers clearly have faltered, I end up explaining it to many students each year, praying that it never profoundly affects their family as it has mine.
  • By participating in the Relay for Life, I not only honor the memory of each family member who fought against cancer, but honor those who still fight.
  • Halestock... This was the first year I was able to attend Halestock.  This incredible day long celebration of good food, live bands and tie die actually raises money that my cousin, and her children, donates in memory of her husband.
  • EJHS Class of '83 charities:  Every five years when my High School Class has its reunion, we raise money for charities that fight against causes that took our classmates.  So far we have contributed money from our silent auctions to fight diabetes, heart disease and domestic violence.  Women Helping Battered Women is also an organization that I have supported since one of my friends, and former school secretary, was murdered by her husband.   
  •   And as I approach the anniversary of our Goddaughter's death by SIDS, I share the story of her life and her mother's indefatigable courage as I invite my students each year to share their own autobiographical narratives about turning points in their lives... And I guess that is all that matters, right- our stories and how they intersect with those around us in love or grief or whatever comes at us and how we move forward on the journey toward tomorrow. 
  • This summer we went to a Horse Show to benefit our dear family friend as she battles cancer.  I learned so much about Horse Shows and had the chance to spend the day with my awesome Uncle. 
  • Pizza Hut Coupon Card to benefit Paul Howey!   I walked into Pizza Hut after another late night during homecoming week, and what did I spy with my little eye??  $10 coupon cards and all of the proceeds go to Paul Howey's family.  Let me tell you... with Colin's wreck just over a year ago, I am happy to purchase one of these cards!  Won't you do the same?  Thanks, Pizza Hut!



No comments:

Post a Comment