Friday, June 5, 2009

Summer Reading Log Sample on TWILIGHT

Dear All,

I started Twilight this week. I thought that this would make a great Sample Reading Log for those who are interested in participating in the Voluntary Summer Reading program, but perhaps haven't done a reading log before. Post any questions your have about the Summer Reading Program or my b/log! Mrs. Fallon

Sample Reading B/Log on Twilight


Summary from page 1 - 84 (Chapters 1 - 4): At last I have begun Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I know that many of you have been riveted by this series this year, so I had to learn what all of the excitement was about. In this first part, Bella arrives in Washington state to live with her Dad. She starts her new school and Edward saves her from being crushed by Tyler's van that was slipping on the black ice. At the end of this section, Edward has invited Bella to Seattle.

Author's Style/reflection on the six traits of effective writing (organization, ideas, sentence fluency, mechanics, voice, word choice): Voice/Sentence Fluency- I like the first person narration, but I find it frustrating that I do not know what is going on in Edward's head at first. His behavior is so erratic. Organization- At first Meyer's exposition seemed to go on perhaps a little too long, but I think that because I had already seen the movie, it made me impatient for some action. Although I was thoroughly confused when watching the film, the book is likewise confusing at times. Mechanics- Meyer's use of tenses at time threw me off because she switched back and forth between past and present a lot. She uses the word "till" quite a bit and I found that distracting. Word Choice- She uses effective words to depict Washington State as a dark/magical place. Ideas- After reading Dracula and Salem's Lot with various book clubs this year, I may have had my fill of Vampire books. I must admit, it can be scary reading with a vivid imagination. The books are all very different from one another. That is very intriguing...

No comments:

Post a Comment