Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday, June 14 Tour de Revs



After a teary goodbye, it was off to meet Mom and Dad Fallon at Church. It was a special service today because the Tour de Revs (reverends, revenue and revolution...or something like that) had arrived in Massachusetts to draw attention to the ELCA's campaign against world hunger. These three pastors are riding a three-seated bamboo bike across the country. They arrive in Nebraska (Omaha) for the first weekend in August. Pastor Fred gave the children's message and the big kid's message by talking about how we are called to feed the hungry.




As I reflect on this now, I am reminded of the NETA conference back in April. After we finished our sessions, a bunch of us went out to eat at Olive Garden. In the parking lot, we were approached by a young woman who said she needed money. Although I immediately gave her some money, I remember my parting words were, "I am so sorry I couldn't give you more, but the rest is my lunch money for tomorrow." Now- those words echo through my brain. Ouch! This incident in the parking lot was fodder for lots of conversations over dinner. We discussed how to truly help people in a way that it would make a difference in their lives. We debated whether giving money to this person enabled or disabled this young woman. We brainstormed buying her a meal versus giving her the money. What is the right answer?




Now as I write this blog from North Carolina, I am once again confronted with this question. As we have been driving around, there are men who sit on the traffic barriers barriers begging for money at the red lights. May of them have been given food by people as they pass by.




No comments:

Post a Comment