Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Scala Sancta


On My Knees

          The Holy Stairs were not on my itinerary.  Often times the most powerful experiences aren't even on our radar.  If you don't know about the Holy Steps, please feel free to read more about them here (http://www.scala-santa.com/index.php/en/holy-stairs-en-gb).  

(from The Guardian April 17, 2011)

It reads, in part, "According to an ancient Christian tradition, Saint Helena (†335), the mother of Constantine, had the stairs transported from Pontius Pilate’s palace in Jerusalem to Rome. It is believed that Jesus climbed these stairs several times the day he was sentenced to death, thus, they are known as the “Scala Pilati” or “Scala Sancta” (the Holy Stairs or Pilate’s Stairs)."  

          I made lots of excuses in my mind why I, as unworthy as I am, should not have to climb these stairs on my knees and suffer such inconvenience and discomfort.  Surely, God would continue to offer His Love and Mercy even if I were not willing to go above and beyond right?  It was probably about then that the guides announced that there was only 15 minutes left until the Sanctuary would be closing for lunch.  As I looked at the steps, this insurmountable obstacle in my mind, I saw Father Nick already halfway up.  Father Nick with his bad knees and unshakeable faith was already about halfway up moving quickly and gracefully.  This pilgrimage, and my discipleship itself, was a lot like that.  Inspired by pillars of faith, I try to discern where God is calling me to act and serve.  As I visited these Holy places in Rome, I contemplated my own mission and how, even when it seems insurmountable, I can work for God's purposes through the living of my daily life by faithfully climbing one stair at a time even when it is painful-  embracing those impediments on this journey, my life's pilgrimage.  
          I climbed those stairs... on my knees.  It was not pretty.  Sweat was pouring down my entire body and many times, I considered turning back.  In the end, I was overwhelmed with the sacredness of this spot, gratitude to my God and of the sacramental and sacrificial nature of the gesture itself.  

2 comments:

  1. Pam...Mom and I did the Holy Stairs and it was one of the most inspirational and emotional experiences of our entire trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I feel like my mom was with me, in spirit, and it was definitely the most inspirational experience too! Pictures??

    ReplyDelete