Saturday, August 21, 2021

Lake Champlain

 Island Time

I have a confession to make.  I am obsessed with the Vermont Islands of Lake Champlain.  I thought that I knew them, since I had been to the Sandbar Beach (https://vtstateparks.com/sandbar.html) a time or two.  I was wrong.  Over the last couple of months, I have driven there both from the New York State side and the Vermont side.  It is stunning.  Ironically, the Islands of Lake Champlain are more than just a scenic spot, those mysterious waters hold ancient mysteries too!  Did you know that there's dinosaurs in them there waters?

When I was in High School, I had the privilege of taking Latin II with Mr. Tremblay, and while I was missing my Mater Chaffee from Latin I beyond words, Magister Tremblay always spiced up our lessons with his colorful "fish" tails. And so it was that one day that he beguiled our class with a story about when he came face to face with Lake Champlain's notorious lake monster, Champ. My secret prayer is that on my next trip, I too might come face to face with that famous cousin to Nessie, the Lock Ness Monster.  If not, I will need to substitute my monster quest with a good ol' fashion Lake Monsters baseball game at Centennial Field.    

If you get a chance to visit the Vermont Islands of Lake Champlain, I recommend keeping your eyes on the horizon while taking in all of the incredible beauty surrounding you!

Check out these things to see and do:

Things to see and do

Vermont Vacation Guide

Check out these Educational Resources:

Lake Champlain Islands

The History of Champ

No comments:

Post a Comment