Sunday, August 1, 2010

Colin Fallon- The Graduation Tour



Tour de CTF

When we left Chicago and its beautiful suburbs, we made our way east. Just like technology glitches slowed me down all summer, so too did the road construction along the routes we traveled. This was very true on our way from Illinois to Massachusetts. We tried, but we just couldn't make it in one day, so we had to stop in Albany, New York. We got up bright and early and were back on the road. We were excited to see our Massachusetts branch of the Fallon family. Our niece Payton would be coming over to Mom Fallon's for a piano lesson while our nephew Davis, Colin and Ian would warm up with a little wiffle ball in the back yard with Dad Fallon as all-time pitcher. When we were in the back yard, I heard a sound from my childhood. Before I could stop myself, I was screaming, "ICE CREAM MAN, ICE CREAM MAN!" running into the street. Do we ever really grow up?

I used to love the ice cream man when I was growing up on Caledonia Street in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. I would scrounge for change, chase down the slow moving tempter and secure a little piece of heaven. Ice Cream equaled love for me. When we would drive to our camp just a few minutes outside of St. Jay, we would drive by the ice cream stand. Every single time, we would sing out from the back seat, "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM!" Sometimes it worked. Most of the time it didn't, but it was a little taste of love. Chocolate and vanilla twist please.

I would not catch the ice cream day on this hot day in Massachusetts. Eek! He drove too quickly. It was almost like he didn't want me to catch him. Yes, it was a conspiracy to keep me from my ice cream. Why? Why? Why? Anyway... back to the blog.... I digress!

Since, I missed the ice cream man, I had to turn my attention to wiffle ball. The Fallons are competitive when it comes to any sport, but let's say that wiffle ball and bumper pool are the fiercest. Even though we would only be together for a couple of hours, there was time for a wiffle ball tournament. Although wiffle ball is great, my favorite Fallon activity has to be the big family dinners where we sit around the table for hours. Today (or tonight as the case may be) was no different. It was so nice catching up with brother-in-law and sister-in-law Doug and Lynn on the year's events. Time flies and I am not sure where it goes, but I love playing catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment