Monday, August 2, 2010

The Road to Hanna

















The Road to Hana or If I knew then, what I know now...

When I blissfully booked The Polynesian Adventure Tour for The Road to Hana, I was just relieved that I wasn't going to have to drive it. (Ignorance is bliss... at first.) I wish I had done my homework. Here is what it says online about the Road to Hana Trip: "9. Drive slowly and take turns at the wheel. The road to Hana is dangerous. With approximately 600 curve and 54 bridges, the Road to Hana can bring you closer to heaven in more ways than one. With winding roads, blind turns, constant traffic, distracting views, narrow one-lane roads, cliffs, and wet conditions, Hana Highway has proven its worth as a danger with many fatalities. Take your time, and make sure the driver is focusing on the road. The road is long and offers many chances to pull over and take a break or switch drivers" (www.mauiinformationguide.com). Are you kidding me? Maybe Stephen King would like to set one of his horror novels out here!

Our knowledgeable guide was friendly, yet at the same time having nerves of steel. This trip with our skilled and experienced P.A. driver took 11 1/2 hours. I shouldn't mention at this point, but I will, that not only do the drivers have to traverse this path-road in a mini bus, they have to offer the shakalaka sign to cars they pass just to show that they are affable! At one point I was so terrified, I just covered my ears and shut my eyes because it was scarier than any other amusement park ride I had ever been on. We sat in the way back; I (and I am sure our driver) was grateful I didn't have the front seat view.

We made many stops along the way, and those breaks were amazing. Fresh baked banana bread stands on the side of the road, chapels made from black lava rock and magnificent flora, rainforest, waterfalls and yes... mansions- the Road to Hana had them all. Our stops were Kaumahina State Wayside, Wai'napanapa State Park, Hana Ranch, Pools of Oheo, and an inspiring winery called The Ulupalakua Ranch. Every time we negotiated another hairpin turn, the vistas were spectacular! The Road to Hana is quite a journey, and one that we will not soon forget! And I have really, really tried!


No comments:

Post a Comment