Monday, August 2, 2010

Parasailing with UFO





When We Are the UFO...

My sister Pattie booked our Parasailing Adventures with UFO tours (www.ufoparasailing.com/) out of Lahaina Harbor. The real adventure started out with trying to find a parking place, but eventually I dropped off the entire crew and by the time I raced onto the beach having located the rendezvous point, they were all ready to board the skiff to take us out to the bigger boat. It was when I was quickly signing all of the "hold harmless" forms that I realized that I would be parasailing also. Perhaps it was that the jet lag had still not worn off, but I quickly went from frantically trying to find a parking place and my family to relief and laughing hysterically. My laughter abruptly ceased when the skipper informed us that we were going to be parasailing in a different spot on this day because there was a search and rescue underway for a missing tourist. Then... we were all shaking in our boots! Surrounded by all of this natural beauty and abundance, I would never have thought about the inherent danger.

When we arrived at the parasailing spot, it was "go" time. With the great Billy Squier and other metal music from the 80's pounding out into the air, Pattie and I led off our little expedition. (I am trying to upload the video now...) We affirmed with the Captain and the first mate that we did NOT want to take a dip in the harbor at the end of the trip. It was breathtaking. For my nephew Jared who had just gone skydiving for his 17th birthday, I am sure that it was another day at the office, but for me it was an thrill of a lifetime. Once again, I was struck by the natural beauty and all of God's gifts, especially my family. Our family laughs a lot and this trip was no exception. Laughter restores, renews and heals us in the weary places. I think that it helps us to be God's light in the world as we try to make His Kingdom Come! Pretty soon it was time to head back into the harbor... life is kind of like that, isn't it? We had lost one pair of sunglasses, but we had gained so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment