Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Thy Kingdom Come...


Thy Kingdom Come

I have thought a lot about this phrase lately. When I think about it, I reflect on how people love and serve one another and truly make God's Kingdom come into the world. One of our quick side trips this summer was to New Jersey to visit our sister-in-law Sharon. Now the purpose of our trip was supposed to be so that we could show our love for her by helping her with a few projects around the house. Well, we were WRONG! Clearly it was a ruse. Once we got there, despite her ferocious chemotherapy treatments she was in the process of enduring, she wanted US to enjoy the Jersey shore and just be with her. Enjoy each others' company we did!

Our first stop was to do some kayaking... not just any kayaking you understand. Kayaking behind Bon Jovi's house... Okay... okay... this picture of the back of his house was from Google, we can't kayak and take pictures at the same time, but still how cool was that! We love Bon Jovi.. his music and his causes. Check out his/their website at bonjovi.com or his foundation website jonbonjovisoulfoundation.org/ In partnership with St. Joseph's Carpenter Society they have helped build/rebuild homes in Camden, New Jersey for working class folks. Loving and serving others... Thy will be done.

Our next stop was the boogie boarding beach. Now, since Sharon wasn't in any shape to boogie board, I had to do it for her. Here comes another word equation: Pam + boogie board = sand burns. Who knew sand could burn? Okay... probably all of you did except me. I did not see that big mammoth wave coming, but apparently there was a big bulls eye on my back! The wave picked me up and threw me up (threw up me?) on the beach. I am still finding sand weeks later. Laughed... I laughed so hard.

The most powerful part of our visit had to be dinner. We spent hours around the dinner table (as usual) and watched a magnificent storm sweep across the water. The bright lights of New York City vanished and reappeared as the tempest subsided. Sharon began talking about September 11, 2001 and how, when she and my brother-in-law Dana saw that the terrorists had attacked, they went down to the harbor. They grabbed first aid supplies and extra blankets. She said that when commuter boats started evacuating victims from New York City, the city of Atlantic Highlands had emergency procedures in place. Sharon was helping people around the decontamination chamber- being Christ's light in a dark, troubled time and tragic place. Even as Sharon told the story, there was a triumphant radiance in her eyes. All of these wounded and dazed people came together and got busy helping one another. And she was grateful. She was grateful that she could do something meaningful during this horrific tragedy to make a difference in the world.

I think that is exactly what The Lord's Prayer is all about, isn't it? It also reminds me of what my Word Among Us meditation said the other day- "Scripture tells us to 'serve one another through love' (Galatians 5:13), to 'strive for peace with everyone' (Hebrews 12:14), and to use our God-given gifts to take care of each other (1 Peter 4:10).

When I grow up, I want to be like my sister-in-law Sharon. Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment