Monday, August 2, 2010

Snorkeling Molikini


Snorkeling Molikini

I know that we did it, but I think because I was still so traumatized from the Road to Hana, I have no pictures of snorkeling. Notice how I cling to the life preserver. The Pacific Whale Foundation, a very worthwhile organization doing important work, hosted this trip and took this picture. The wind and the waves came up. I found myself humming the theme to "Gilligan's Island". That is all I remember.... "...a three hour tour...a three hour tour." That is all I can remember.

"Molokini is an ancient volcanic caldera that offers some of the clearest water for snorkeling anywhere in the world. It is located about 2 miles offshore from South Maui in the Alalakeiki Channel (between Maui and Kaho'olawe). Molokini is a marine sanctuary below water and a bird sanctuary above water. There is no access to the island itself; only those with research permits are permitted to go ashore. The incredibly clear water is due to its location in the middle of the channel and the lack of any sand deposits around the islet. No matter the wind or wave conditions the visibility here is unparalleled" (adventuremaui.com).

1 comment: