Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cleveland, Ohio


 As we rolled back to Nebraska cross country this August, a bit of a family feud erupted around which side trip or excursion we would take.  We've done The Field of Dreams (http://www.fieldofdreamsmoviesite.com/) and baseball games galore, but my plea, as always, was for Niagara Falls (http://www.niagarafallsstatepark.com).  Unfortunately, since I was the only one who brought my passport, I would be the only one allowed to walk the Nik Wallenda tightrope across to the Canadian side of the falls.  Immediately this was perceived as a problem!

Now, because Ian was in Omaha, and Derrick and Colin were in the car, their votes to stop at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio overpowered my single, yet passionate vote for Niagara Falls.  Truth be told, Ian would have voted with them anyway.  Okay, so it was with the dejected pout of a pregnant possum that I drove us in the "The Forest City", "Metropolis of the Western Reserve", "Sixth City", "The Rock 'n' Roll Capital of the World", or  "C-Town."  You know, Cleveland, Ohio (http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/CityofCleveland/Home).  
Cleveland, OH

Lola, the GPS, led the way.  As we approached the side Boulevard for parking near the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (rockhall.com), we saw it was beautiful.  On the shores of Lake Erie, the city was absolutely radiant.  I knew that there was something synchronistic about this visit.  Not only was it Wednesday night at 6 PM, and the Museum usually closed at 5:30 PM all summer long on every night BUT Wednesday night, as I made my way around the corner to the front of the triangular building, I was sure that I heard these lofty lyrics floating across the hot humid air.  “Get tired of travelin and you want to settle down./I guess they can't revoke your soul for tryin,Get out of the door and light out and look all around./Sometimes the lights all shinin’ on me; Other times I can barely see.  Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been./  Truckin, Im a goin home. whoa whoa baby, back where I belong, Back home...


Special Exhibition at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Speaking of the call of the mythical Sirens, here we were truckin’ on our way home from Vermont to Nebraska and immediately, I was transported back to the Summer of 1989 at Foxboro Stadium.  My BFF Kathy had convinced me that we had to attend this Grateful Dead show.  The sociological implications alone would be worth the price of admission and implications there were.   I was stunned to see how these people, some of them even couples with children, lived following the Dead from show to show. It was an opportunity I will never forget and am so grateful  (sorry about this one, really I am) that I had a chance to experience it.  So while Derrick and Colin were captivated by the Beatles, (Jackson) Browne and Bruce displays, I was captured by the Dead.  Stay with me here…
Summer of 1989

A highway is really an apt metaphor for the passage of time (Isn't it ironic that we are even leaning on our cars in these pictures) and the different seasons of life.  As we connected with friends over the course of the summer, I was reminded of how they continue to influence my life... in my eating (for example… high fructose corn syrup = bad, eggplant = good), in my thinking and in my dreaming.  As with my extraordinary sisters, I am surrounded with this incredible group of inspirational women who have been through so much in their lives, tragedy even touched our close-knit group again this summer, but they remain principle-centered and faith-filled role models for me.  They fill me up and are signs for me of God’s love in the world. 


Summer of 2012




















With that being said, Jackson Browne’s “Running on Empty” lyrics jog through my head because the song uses similar road of life imagery.  “Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels/I don't know how to tell you all just how crazy this life feels/ I look around for the friends that I used to turn to pull me through/ Looking into their eyes I see them running too/ Running on-running on empty/ Running on-running blind/Running on-running into the sun /But I'm running behind …” 


Running on Inspiration...
Even though I do always feel like I am running behind, I don't feel like I am running on empty.  I feel like the love of my God, my family and my friends fills me up and fuels my ambition to be Christ’s light in the world.  So too is my prayer for all of you.  Summer is nearly over, but my dreams are leading me ahead.  As I discern God’s call in my life, I want to forge my dreams with the days and resources I’ve been given.  These are my New Year’s Resolutions…  Happy New Year!  New Year of School Year, that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment