Saturday, August 4, 2012

I had a dream…



This summer has been like a dream.  When I look back at all of the things that I have done and all of the places I have gone, it feels a little unreal.  As I drive cross country, Vermont fades to the foggy background and Nebraska eases into my view.  I live two lives and sometimes my quirky existence feels like that place between being asleep and being awake, although I am never really sure what place is which.  Dreams…
It seems like every summer that I blog, I start later and later.  I guess I am so busy experiencing my summer that I am not ready to sit down and actually process it.  I trust it will always make sense in the end.  Not only does my blog allow my students to take virtual field trips with me each summer as I zigzag my way across country, it allows me to reflect on the gifts, dreams and miracles God provides for me on a daily basis… Maybe this summer, I will give you a guided field trip to my inner brain and the dreams that lurk there.  (Here's a picture of my brain on dreams from brainharmonycenter.com.)  Terrifying, I know!  Anyway, I do believe that this blog helps me to tune out all of the noisy distractions in my day and discern my call through the themes in my life.



One theme that has come back to me over and over again this year has to do with dreams… As we have discussed so many times in class, a theme is NOT a word or topic.  A theme is …what?  That’s right- In  literature a theme is a sentence that summarizes what the protagonist learns as a result of experiencing the plot.  So what have I learned about dreams throughout the plot of events from this summer?   Dreams empower us to achieve?  Dreams are a catalyst for inspiration?  As the landscape of our lives changes, so do our dreams?  Maybe it is too soon to tell…

We have lived in a lot of miraculous places in our life as a family.  Each place has honed our dreams and influenced our call.  And each time, God has called us out to deeper water.  Unlike the Sirens from ancient mythology who sought to lure sailors toward their destruction upon the rocks, God calls us to set out for deep water with Faith as our only compass and the sound of our dreams to guide us away from danger.  All aboard?  Anyone?  Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment