Saturday, August 4, 2012

Martha's Vineyard


I don’t want my title to mislead you here that I had a chance to go to Martha’s Vineyard, because, although I guess I had the opportunity, I couldn’t go to Martha’s Vineyard.  I sent Katherina and Mia on the Ferry to Martha’s Vineyard, and I knew that they would really enjoy their day.  (Here... Take a virtual tour and see some of things that they may have done... http://www.mvol.com/virtualtours)  Not only did I think that it was time to give them a break from their obsessive compulsive tour guide, but I, in all of my tour guide-ity had broken a tooth.  Since I was 300 miles from my favorite cosmetic dentist (http://www.shoresmiles.com), I knew that I would need to improvise.  I also knew that I should not stop at the storefront by the Ferry… You know the one… The one with the sign that read, “Walk-ins Welcome J.”  But desperate times call for desperate measures, and I would need to get this tooth fixed before those girls returned on the evening ferry.  This gnarled and jagged porcelain dagger would not do, and there would be no other time.   Summoning all of the courage I had left, I walked into that makeshift dental facility, and after giving them all of my pertinent insurance information they lusted for, they took me right in.  (This should have been a red flag perhaps…) 
I started to protest, but with a tilt on her head, and a boink of her eyebrow, she hypnotized me, drew me from my chair and into the black abyss of the backroom.  She led me to the first examining room on the right.  It was always the first one on the right;  I wondered why.  I jumped up into the long, blue chair with the hard plastic covers.  In one swift movement, the chair’s arm swooped down from behind me as the chair began to rise.  I felt the drool bib being placed on my chest and the ball bearing chain/clip combo being roped behind my neck and then gracefully clipped into my hair.

(Disclaimer... This picture is not a photo of my dentist on the Cape.  This is a creepy dentist with a frightening surgical mask from geekologie.com.  All names have been removed to protect the ...
creepy.)

“Open wide!” was the command from the cavernous smile.  “Wider, wider, okay.  Here we go.”  A bevy of pain overrode my senses, but before I knew it, a plastic cup was being hoisted toward my mouth.   Although it must have been 2 ½ hours, I heard the enthusiastic and fresh,  “Swish and spit.”  Working as a high school English teacher for many years now, my gut told me to respond with a feisty, “Swish and spit, yourself”, but I refrained.  I wasn’t out of the clear yet!  As they pointed to the mechanized spittoon to my left, they had a devilish twinkle in their eyes.  It was almost like they could read my terrorized mind.  “All done.  Just like new…” They touted. 
“Ya right,” I thought.  Now it was all like a movie being played in reverse.  Down came the chair, up went the arm, off came the clip bib, out came my hair by its roots.  I wriggled my face muscles back into shape as I leapt out of the chair and out to the front desk.  The only thing missing on this dental emergency expedition was a trip to the treasure drawer where I could have grabbed a glow-in-the-dark puppy ring.    No puppy ring aside,  I raced outside, threw myself against the railing of the front porch and drew in the salty ocean air.  I’m not sure, but as I was leaving I could have sworn that I heard all of the staff members gathered in the office calling out in unison, “You all come back now, ya hear?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment