Tuesday, August 28, 2012

In Room 115

How to Build Community
The Human Pass


When my former high school classmate Holly posted this collage about Community, I thought of Adam.   I took this picture of my colleague Adam when he bopped into Room 115 on Friday and said that he was a human pass (for one of the students who came late).  It just hit me!  A human pass… wouldn’t that be nice if we could be that for one other.    

As a teacher in a high school, it would be easy to go into my classroom and close the door... close the door on the outside world and community as a whole.  Even then I could create a classroom community with my students or I could live in my own little kingdom.  The higher calling, I think, is to create a classroom community that transcends any walls or barriers of space or time.  Where I am weak, Adam is strong.  

The ancient African proverb is true... it really does take a village to raise a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment